Music fans around the world are in shock after the news of the death of music star Prince.
Known for his electric music and flamboyant performance, the music icon prince died today at the age of 57.
Prince was found unresponsive inside an elevator of Paisley Park Studios. After the news of prince’s death, many poured social media with messages of grief. US president Barak Obama said Prince was “one of the most gifted and prolific musicians of our time”.
Here is a fast fact compilation of Prince by CNN
Birth date: June 7, 1958
Birth place: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Birth name: Prince Rogers Nelson
Father: John Nelson, jazz pianist
Mother: Mattie Shaw, social worker and singer
Marriages: Manuela Testolini Nelson (2001-2007, divorced); Mayte Garcia (1996-2000, divorced)
Children: One child, named “Boy Gregory” with Mayte Garcia. The baby died shortly after birth.
- Other Facts:
Prince has won sevenGrammy Awards, and has earned 30 nominations.
- Five of Prince’s singles have topped the charts and 14 other songs hit the Top 10.
- OneOscar win, for the original song score of “Purple Rain.”
- The singer’s predilection for lavishly kinky story-songs earned him the nickname, His Royal Badness. He is also known as the “Purple One” because of his colorful fashions. In the film, “Purple Rain,” his character was nicknamed “The Kid.”
- “Darling Nikki,” a song that details a one-night stand, prompted the formation of theParents Music Resource Center. Led by Al Gore’s wife, Tipper, the group encouraged record labels to place advisory labels on albums with explicit lyrics.
- As the Minnesota Vikings prepped to take on the New Orleans Saints in the2010 NFC championship game, Prince wrote a fight song entitled “Purple and Gold” to inspire his home team. The Vikings lost.
- Prince declared, “Albums still matter; like books and black lives, albums still matter tonight and always,” before presenting the award for Best Album during the 57th annual Grammy Awards.