By Yohannes Ayalew
Photos by Yohannes Ayalew
Toronto’s Drake Hotel was host to an array of musical extravaganza on Feb 23rd with the Ethiopian American, Teodros Gabriel, as the main attraction
With sound that reflects Ethiopia as well as modern hip hop, the artist was greeted with a full house of young and old fans from every generation. For a full two hours, his music reflected social justice ideals and observation as well as the need of national pride and history.
Teodros, Gabriel is a hip hop artist and a member of the groups Abyssinian Creole and Copper Wire. He is of Ethiopian, Scottish, Irish and Native American descent, and was raised on Beacon Hill, Seattle, Washington
Quick facts about Teodros Gabriel
- Albums : 2006, Teodros completed the entire Lovework
- December 2009, Teodros released GT’s Ethiopium: A Jitter Generation Mixtape
- Air 2 A Bird’s Crow Hill, released independently in the summer of 2010
- January 2012, Teodros released Colored People’s Time Machine, his first full-length solo album since Lovework.
- Teodros travelled to Ethiopia to stage his shows with Meklit Mahdero and other artisits.
- Teodros performed alongside artists such as Kannan , Black star and Zap Mama